Hidden Home Fire Threats You Have To Be Aware Of
There is a fire almost every 2 minutes in the US. The really common home fire causes are smoking and cooking. This is why people are always so careful about protecting against the threats. They are common knowledge.
Unfortunately, cooking and smoking are just a couple of the numerous fire threats that exist in a home. Any home. Many are hidden and few homeowners know about them. This is what we will focus on in the following paragraphs.
Stay away from the following hidden home fire threats.
Every single battery is a fire risk, even if the charge in it is weak. Usually, it is the 9-volt batteries that are the fire culprit. This is because terminals are close to each other. A short can quickly happen.
It is always a very good idea to buy a quality battery storage case. Also, always leave batteries in the original packaging before use.
Batteries have to be stored in an upright position. They should not be kept in a metal container or close to your keys. 9-volt batteries have to be stored separately.
The coffee pot can easily overheat. This can start a fire. Coffee pots that have plastic components are particularly dangerous. They can get really hot if you do not turn them off.
Some people think it is safe when they use coffee makers with digital clocks. They have automatic shut-off features. These are not enough.
In order to be safe, you need to be around the coffee maker when it works. Then, you need to turn it off manually right after use.
Every single person that held a laptop in his/her lap knows how hot the device can get. What is not known is that this can actually lead to a fire.
If the laptop is placed on top of a blanket or a surface that is similar, batteries overheat. House fires can appear due to that.
You should never leave a laptop on a soft surface. In the event that you do not have or you do not use a desk or a home office, the laptop stand is definitely the best choice possible.
Nobody is surprised to hear that gasoline can start a fire. Even so, you would be surprise to learn about how many homeowners store gasoline or kerosene in their home, without extra care.
Whenever you store flammable liquids in a home, keep them in containers that are safe and that are properly labeled. Also, whenever it is written on an item that is flammable, be careful.
Numerous flammable liquids can exist in a home. Even nail polish remover can lead to a very nasty situation if close to a fire source in a room that is not properly ventilated.
A laundry room is seen by many homeowners as being a luxury. It is surely great to have one but you might also have a hidden home fire hazard there without even knowing it: the dryer vent.
The dryer vent has to be regularly cleaned. Before every single load, you have to empty the lint screen. This is because of the fact that fabric softener, detergent and many other materials will build up. A flammable transparent film can be created.
Overlamping is a term that few people know. It practically means that light bulb wattage is just too high for a lamp. This can easily lead to a home fire. As an example, if the lamp is 40-watt and you use 75-watt light bulbs, overlamping can appear.
Whenever a fixture is not marked, the best thing you can do is to stay under 60 watts. It is also a really good idea you use compact fluorescent lights (CFL) in your home but not when the bulb’s base is enclosed. This leads to overheating.